Please Note: All times are Eastern. Our 90-minute webinars
begin at 1:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 noon Central / 11:00 am Mountain / 10:00 am
FREE TO AADE MEMBERS
Registration is limited to the first 1,000 registrants
HOW TO LOGIN TO TODAY'S EVENT
First, be sure to register online using the "Register Now" button above. After you complete your checkout we will e-mail you login instructions. Login instructions were sent to all registrants on Friday and again this morning at 11:40 am EDT (10:40 am CDT). If you are already registered, please check your e-mail for the instructions (be sure to also check your junk folder). If you registered but cannot find the instructions we sent, please e-mail us at email@example.com. Thank you.
In this 90-minute session, diabetes educators will learn about the new diabetes self-management education and support algorithm of care for adults with type 2 diabetes. It was released in June 2015 in a joint position paper from the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Learn to use this tool to achieve better patient-centered care in your diabetes education practice.
This program's purpose is to give diabetes educators a better understanding of the DSME/S position statement and its potential use in a variety of health care settings.
This is a knowledge-based learning activity. This 90-minute online session includes a presentation followed by a question and answer period.
Learning ObjectivesAt the end of this presentation, participants will
be able to:
- Describe the parameters of the position paper and benefits associated with DMSE/S
- List the 4 critical times to assess, provide, and adjust diabetes self-management education and support as described in the Algorithm of Care.
- Apply the areas of focus and action steps at each critical patient engagement point.
- List the 5 Guiding Principles and Key Elements of Ongoing DSME/S from the Algorithm of Care.
- Demonstrate how the Algorithm of Care can be applied by the care team to develop treatment goals and therapeutic options for persons with type 2 diabetes.
1. Introduction: Importance of the DSME/S position statement, why developed, who involved, process
2. Key message points
3. Research supporting the value of DSME/S
4. Overview of the structure of the Algorithm of Care (ADA Standards of Care, 4 critical times)
5. Proposed use of the Algorithm of Care in a clinical setting; integration of care team
6. The 4 critical times (areas of focus and action steps)
7. Examples of each critical time
8. Five guiding principles and rationale for inclusion
9. Proposed use of guiding principles
10. Scenarios for using the Algorithm of Care
11. Plans for dissemination of the Algorithm of Care to referral providers
12. Question and answer session
Intended AudienceThe AADE Webinars are knowledge-based
activities designed for individual or groups of diabetes educators, including
RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists,
Physician Assistants, MDs, and other health care providers interested in staying
up to date on current practices of care for their patients with diabetes and
other related conditions.
Margaret Powers, PhD, CDE, RDN
Vice President, Health Care & Education
American Diabetes Association
International Diabetes Center
Joan Bardsley, RN, MBA, CDE, FAAD
MedStar Health Research Institute AVP
Great Falls, Virginia
This webinar is supported by a grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
Association of Diabetes Educators is accredited as a provider of continuing
nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on
This educational program will provide 1.5 contact hours
of continuing education credit.
AADE is accredited as a provider of
continuing nursing education by the California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP
AADE is an Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #366. This
program provides 0.18 CEUs (1 contact hour = 50 minutes, or 0.1 CEUs).
Association of Diabetes Educators, (AM001) is a Continuing Professional
Education (CPE) Accredited Provider with the Commission on Dietetic Registration
(CDR). Registered dietitians (RDs) and dietetic technicians, registered (DTRs)
will receive 1.5 continuing professional education units (CPEUs) for completion
of this program. Continuing Professional Education Provider Accreditation does
not constitute endorsement by CDR of a provider, program, or
The American Association of Diabetes
Educators is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a
provider of continuing pharmacy education. This program provides 1.50 contact
hours (0.150 CEUs) of continuing education credit.
ACPE Universal Program
Effective Dates: 10/21/15 - 10/21/17
Faculty DisclosuresIt is the policy of the American Association of
Diabetes Educators to require that anyone who has an opportunity to affect
continuing education activities content (e.g. authors, presenters and program
planners) with products or services from a commercial interest with which s/he
has financial relationships, discloses those financial relationship/s with
commercial entities to participants.
Disclosure of a relationship is not intended to suggest or condone bias in
any presentation, but is made to provide participants with information that
might be of potential importance to their evaluation of a presentation.
Relevant disclosures (or lack thereof) among educational activity planners
and faculty are as follows:
- Joan Bardsley, RN, MBA, CDE, FAADE: Consultant, Eli Lilly.
- Margaret Powers, PhD, CDE, RDN: Support to institution (International Diabetes Center) - Education Advisory Board for Lilly, and research funding from Sanofi.
- Nancy Stonis, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to report.
- Anne Willmore, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to
The approval of this educational offering by the AADE does not imply
endorsement of specific therapies, treatments, or products discussed in the
InstructionsTo receive a Statement of Credit you must attend the entire
session. Your Statement of Credit will be issued electronically immediately upon
submission of the evaluation form. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the event
you choose not to complete the evaluation form.
Test Your Computer
To ensure that your participation is successful, please test your system as
soon as possible so if you do have technical challenges, you will have time to
get them sorted out. Click here to test your computer.
It is OK to fail Step 4; you do NOT need to download the "Adobe Connect
System RequirementsWhile you can participate with a 56K dialup internet
connection, it is recommended that you have a high-speed broadband (or better)
internet connection. Please be sure you close as many open programs on your
system as possible.
Click here for operating system