Basics of Diabetes for Non-Clinicians
Online Course - 2.5 Hours
This course does not provide continuing education credit. Individuals who complete the course will receive a certificate of program completion.
This online course provides the fundamentals of the prediabetes and diabetes disease state for non-clinicians who work with people with diabetes. The course also addresses diabetes complications and basic clinical guidelines for diabetes care.
At the completion of this knowledge-based activity, the participant will be able to:
• Describe the incidence and prevalence of prediabetes and diabetes in the U.S. population
• List the risk factors for developing prediabetes
• List the risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes
• Identify populations at higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes
• List the costs associated with prediabetes and diabetes
• Explain the similarities and differences between a diabetes self-management education & support program
(DSMES) and a diabetes prevention program (DPP).
• Recognize the difference between prediabetes and the different types of diabetes: type 1, type 2, & gestational
• Identity the common complications and comorbidities associated with diabetes
• Recognize the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, diabetic ketoacidosis, & hyperglycemic
• Explain the key features of a sick day management plan
• Recognize the importance of emergency preparedness
• Identify sources of clinical practice guidelines for people with diabetes
• State diagnostic criteria for diabetes
• Refer people with diabetes for preventive diabetes care
• Explain how to integrate clinical care guidelines into practice
Module 1: The Diabetes Epidemic
Module 2: The Basics of Prediabetes & Diabetes
Module 3: Diabetes Care Guidelines
This online course is intended for healthcare paraprofessionals interested in providing diabetes education. This includes, but is to limited to lay health workers, community health workers, peer counselors, health navigators, health promoters, health coaches, assistive school personnel, dental hygienists, certified nursing assistants, medical assistants, dietetic technicians, registered pharmacy technicians, physical therapy assistants, and licensed practical nurses
Discounted Member price: $59.00
Non-Member price: $89.00
Volume discounts are available and will be automatically applied at check-out when the desired quantity is selected.
• For groups of 3-9, a 10% discount is available.
• For groups of 10-14, a 15% discount is available.
• For groups of 15+, a 20% discount is available.
This course must be completed within 4 months of the date your registration date.
For those taking this course as part of a certificate program, the completion date of the certificate program applies.